Women MP in Parliament of India. Present Lok Sabha has a total of 542 Members out of which 78 are Female Members. Present Rajya Sabha has a total of 224 Members out of which 24 are Female Members.
Present Status of Member of Parliament in Loksabha and Rajyasabha
- Year 1952-24 MPs
- Year 2014-62 MPs
- Year 2019-78 MPs
|Year||Lok Sabha||Rajya Sabha||Minister|
Women in ministerial position in Parliament
- SHRIMATI NIRMALA SITHARAMAN Minister of Finance; and Minister of Corporate Affairs
- SHRIMATI HARSIMRAT KAUR BADAL Minister of Food Processing Industries
- SHRIMATI SMRITI ZUBIN IRANI Minister of Women and Child Development; and Minister
- of Textiles
- SADHVI NIRANJAN JYOTI Minister of State in the Ministry of Rural Development
- SHRIMATI RENUKA SINGH SARUTA Minister of State in the Ministry of Tribal Affairs
- SUSHRI DEBASREE CHAUDHURI Minister of State in the Ministry of Women and Child
Women Reservation Bill 2023
- On 19th September 2023, Narendra Modi government introduced the 128th Constitutional Amendment Bill, 2023, Women Reservation Bill 2023 to bring in 33% reservation for women in the Lok Sabha and all state Legislative Assemblies. The Bill extends the quota to the seats reserved for SC/STs also.
- The 73rd Constitutional Amendment Act, 1992 mandates 33.3% reservation for women in Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs) across the country. It granted constitutional status and protection to the Panchayati Raj institutions
- First Women Reservation Bill 2023 introduced 12th September 1996 and Passed in the Rajyasabha 25th February 2010 and introduced in Loksabha 19th September 2023.